Yummy Mini Watermelons
Here is a recipe (well, more like instructions) for making some really adorable mini-watermelons from baby cucumbers and watermelon hearts. They are great for lunches or as hors d’oeuvre. This recipe makes four, the perfect number for a box lunch.
- Begin by trimming the ends of the cucumbers, then cut a 2″ piece off each end.
- Set the middle section aside for other use (salads, etc).
- Stand each half-round piece on its end and use the small end of a melon baller to scoop a half-sphere out of each.
- Use the same technique to carve identical pieces out of the watermelon heart, and fit them into the cucumber, flat side up.
- If it doesn’t sit flush, you can carefully trim the excess with a paring knife.
- Finish by pressing a moist finger to the black sesame seeds and using it to scatter them on the surface of the melon.
- You will need a melon baller and sharp knife.